4.09.2012

Fabric Art

I'm a huge fan of over sized artwork. While decorating Hot Mess's room, I kept brainstorming on a unique piece of artwork for her room. I really wanted something large for over her dresser. Without having to pay an arm and a leg for a large piece of artwork, I opted for yet another DIY project!

I first thought about covering a large canvas with a cute fabric that matched her bedding = no luck finding something to match.
I ran across some textured linen (looked like burlap, but smoother) and got to thinking. 
Hmmm...what can I PAINT on it??
Initials!

 This is a cheap, easy, & unique piece of artwork that can go in any room of your house. Personalize it with your last name, a meaningful word, child's name, wedding date, the list goes on... 


SUPPLIES:
Canvas (any size)
Fabric (yardage depends on canvas size)
Picture wire (I used clear)
Decorative hardware (optional)
Staple Gun
Paint & Brush
Nails

First, find the canvas size you want.
I waited until Michael's had them on sale and scooped one up (with a coupon too of course!).
I used a 36"x36".

Find a fabric that you like.
 I used 1 1/2 yards of 54" wide fabric.


Lay fabric face side down on a flat surface, then place canvas face side down on top of fabric. Make sure fabric pattern is straight before you begin to staple down fabric to the canvas!

Start on one side of the canvas pulling fabric TIGHTLY over the frame of the canvas and staple as you go. Simply work your way around the canvas. Tuck over & staple corners as you are done each side.

Ok, that's the really easy part of the project. Should have only taken you 15 minutes or less.
 Not bad so far, right?

 Here comes the tedious part for those of you who aren't so handy with an art brush...
Come on, you can do it!

Pick out a contrasting paint color that compliments your fabric. You want to make sure that it will pop and you can read it on the canvas. Especially if you are using a busy patterned fabric.

 Remember those cheap acrylic paints in the frame post?
Those will do just dandy for this DIY too!

You can do this next part a couple of different ways:
 - Buy letter stencils at any arts&craft stores
 - Free hand it
- Create your own stencil by printing your letters on card stock/cardboard and cut it out

Now paint your initials, name, or word(s). I painted over mine twice so the fabric didn't show through the paint.

 Attach hanging hardware, tie on picture string, hang on wall,
and THAT'S IT!

I used this curtain tie-back from Urban Outfitters to hang the canvas. It didnt come in the finish I needed, so I spray painted it to match her curtain hardware.



 Also great for photo props!



No comments:

Post a Comment