3.26.2012

Picture This...

I've been working on Rhemi's playroom for quite some time now. A little bit here, a little bit there. Have a few spaces on the walls that I just cant find the right things to put up. I have finally made up my mind for one space: a collage wall! Took some time to get it all done, but I had a lot of fun with this one.
This post is a little lengthy, so I apologize ahead of time.
There was no getting around it.
 I really wanted you to see all the details of each piece of the collage so you could try 1, 2 or a few out too!


Supplies:
**some supplies only pertain to certain frames**
  • Unfinished Wood Frames & Plaques (whatever shapes & sizes you fancy)
  • Paint selection of your choice
  • Paint Brushes &/or Foam Brushes (super cheap)
  • Mod Podge (worth having around, a little bit goes a long way)
  • Painter's Tape
  • Hanging Materials
  • Hot Glue Gun or Super Glue
  • Decorative Paper
  • Souvenir(s) or Wall Decor to fit theme of collage

- First primed (2 coats) all of my frames & plaques.
 I recommend this step. If you use the inexpensive acrylic paints from the arts&craft store, the unfinished woods soak it right up. You also don't want the wood grain or
knots showing through your paint. No need to by any fancy paints,
 the cheap one's will do for this project! 

- After the primer, I applied 2-4 coats of paint. 
Some of the lighter colors needed more coats. The cheap paints dry quickly, so it doesn't take long until you can do another coat.

- Used the Command Damage-Free hanging
strips to mount everything.
I didn't want a million holes in the wall when all this was done. They worked out very well & are super easy to use!

I think the worst part was figuring out what to paint what!
- I went through each piece and wrote down a list of what I was going to paint on each.
This helped as a great reference after each one was done.
............................................................................................


{Shadow Box Frame}
 Found this cute shadow box frame. I decided I was going to put one of Rhemi's keepsakes in it for display. I liked the idea of incorporating a cute background. Here's where the Mod Podge & decorative paper come in. If you've never used Mod Podge before, it's not as scary as it looks.


Cut a piece of your paper to fit the size of background. Put a thin coat of Mod Podge along the backside of the frame. Immediately place your decorative paper onto the wet Mod Podge. Take your fingers & gently smooth out any bubbles or creases. Let dry.
See, not that hard!


Decided to show off Rhemi's first pair of baby shoes!
Crazy how time flies & I can barely remember her being small enough to wear these.
 My little "Hot Mess" is growing up way too fast :(
I attached the sandals with the Scotch Reusable Clear Strips.


Miss. Diggy Belle kept getting in the way
while I was trying to take pictures,
 so she became a photo prop!
............................................................................................



{Stripe Frame}
Here is the stacked frame tutorial that inspired me to 
start the collage project.
So cute, right?!
I didn't get as technical as her tutorial & it still came out the same. Pick your liking.


I found these Scotch Multi-Purpose Fasteners worked out pretty well. They stayed in place & didn't feel like some cheapo velcro. You can cut them down into smaller stripes
which is perfect for multi-purpose usage. 



Mark out where you would like the frame
to be lined up on the plaque.
Cut small pieces of the velco fasteners & place onto marked spots. You want to make sure that the pieces of velcro are cut thin enough to not stick out the sides of the frame - you don't want to see the velcro from the front. Place the opposite side of the velcro onto the back of the frame to line up 
with the velco placed on plaque.




Love the idea that you can remove the frame to change out pictures or artwork time & time again!
............................................................................................



{Initial & Silhouette Frame}

Print out initials or name on a plan piece of paper.
Tape to frame & trace.
I just used the tip of a led pencil to trace.



The wood is soft enough that the outline shows nicely.
Should look like this when done tracing. Then paint the initials.


Next the silhouette!
I took a picture of "Hot Mess", enlarged it on my computer, & then printed it. Take another piece of plain paper (something thin enough to see through), put on top of the picture, & trace with a pencil the outline of the picture. Carefully cut out the outline.
The cut out will act as your stencil.


Trace your stencil onto decorative paper & then cut out.
I decided to just use a heavy piece of card stock as the background of my frame. I used Elmer's Spray Adhesive to attach the silhouette to the card stock background.



Frame it up & you're done! Everyone knows that my "Hot Mess" doesn't go anywhere without a bow in her hair, so of course the silhouette had to have one too!!
............................................................................................




                           {Simply Painted Frame}
Here she goes again! Gotta be apart of the action.
She got a little tired about a minute into it & decided to take a little cat nap.
 ............................................................................................



                             {Quote Frame}
Rhemi is OBSESSED with The Wizard of Oz  right now.
To the point that we watch it e-v-e-r-y single day. I wanted to incorporate something from the movie onto the collage wall.
 This is so simple, easy, & cute.
Just type any quote or saying in a word document, print, & frame it!
............................................................................................



{Clip Frame}
Love the idea of these!
I really wanted to be able change out the pictures, artwork, & sentiments of the collage as she grows older.
The metal clips are great for easy changing.
Found the magnetic clips in the office supply section.
Use same steps in the Shadow Box Frame tutorial above to attach the decorative paper to frame.
I used hot glue (my BFF) to attach the metal clips. You can use super glue or whatever your permanent adhesive preference is.



On the left: one of Corey & I's engagement pictures.
Our "family" picture before our "Hot Mess" made it complete.
On the right: Rhemi's first "full" sentence.
I write down all of her monumental moments in her baby book, but I thought this one was cute enough to share.
"Bindy, are you?"
Translation: "Binky, where are you?"
............................................................................................


 {Chevron Frame}
Heads up: this frame takes some time!
This blogger was kind enough to share a free printable chevron pattern. You can pick different sizes too!
 I used the small-thick pattern.
Just print, cut out, & trace, & trace, & trace....
 


 Make sure you stay in the lines when you're painting.
Otherwise, it looks like a HOT MESS!
Don't worry, it's just paint & easy
to touch up to make lines straight ;)
............................................................................................



{Fabric Frame}
Painted & distressed this little cutie. I have some scrap fabrics, so I decided to utilize it on this one.
Cut out a piece to fit inside frame & that's it!

While pregger's for the "Hot Mess",
 I opened a very special fortune cookie that read "Girl".
I later found out I actually was having a girl!!
I misplaced the fortune a year ago & recently ran across it.
I thought this was such a cute keepsake
for Rhemi to have when she's older.
So this one was a framer!! 
............................................................................................




                           {Accessories For Collage}
Here are some add-on's for the collage. Rhemi's 9mth hand print, Anthropologie metal "R", & our first family picture.



                             Rhemi's artwork for finishing touch
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the idea of displaying Rhemi's artwork. 
I think it's so important to encourage kids to be creative & be inspired to create.
 ............................................................................................


                    {Collage Wall}
                         Finally, all the frames & plaques are done!!
                             Hope you enjoyed these tutorials 
                          & find something that you want to create!
 

2 comments:

  1. You are so talented Bran!!! Love your posts :) Wish we could have craft time together- love all that kind of stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet Jen! Call me up anytime & we can come up with some goodies!! Maybe some creative props for your pictures?!
    Blogger fans, like the engagement picture & family photo as seen in this post? Jen Amato is an amazing New Orleans photographer that took those photos. Make sure to check out all of Jen's fabulous work @ http://jenamato.com/

    ReplyDelete