5.21.2012

Mirror, Mirror

I just love the look of a trumeau mirror, but the price tags on them are just a little bit of let's just say an "investment". I started seeing some great DYI's on Pinterest & started thinking of ways to make one myself. They didn't seem to be too difficult to make, so I was up for the challenge.

I was out shopping with a friend helping her find some goodies for her house. Of course my eyes are always wandering on goodies for myself too!
We'll sure enough I ended up finding this next project :)

Project is done & I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome! Got an awesome deal on the mirror too...Tuesday Morning $100.
Whoop Whoop!

I fell in love with the shape of the mirror. It resembles a trumeau mirror which was what I was looking for. I started brainstorming and shopping for wood appliques to attach to the top. Wasn't a huge fan of the color,
so started thinking up some colors for that too.




Found some wood applique's at Hobby Lobby. Super cheap which made it even better. I ended up getting a couple of them for options.



Decided on these Martha Stewart paints I already had. These paints worked GREAT for this project. No priming involved.



I lightly sanded the entire mirror. I had no idea how this was going to turn out, so I just planned on experimenting until it turned out how I wanted it.
First paint test worked like a charm and it ended up being easy & a fast process.
Ready for this?
All you need :: Paper plate, a little bit of water, sponge brush, paper towel, & paint!!



I started with the darker gray first. I painted a couple of strokes, let it sit for a minute, and then wiped it off with the paper towel. I did this to the entire mirror.

I then painted over the darker gray with the lighter gray with the same painting "technique". I used a little bit more water with the lighter gray to make it more of a wash effect.

I repeated this process twice and decided it was the perfect look!

As I painted the mirror, I repeated the same steps on the appliques I ended up choosing so it all blended.



I like the way the original color of the mirror helped give the paint dimension. I also added a tiny bit of a gray/blue color on the applique as a slight touch of color.



Drum roll please....





No comments:

Post a Comment