2.22.2012

let there be light


I keep being asked where I got my light fixture from that was shown in my previous Sign Art Tutorial.
Well, I made it!
Ya'll, making a light fixture is SUPER EASY and you have ENDLESS possibilities to customize it however you want.

You just have to THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!! 

About 9 mths ago, I found this metal sphere at Gordon's (only $30!!!). It was just sitting pretty on a table with some other pretty's as table decor. I immediately HAD to have it. Not sure what the what I was going to do with it, but it was coming home with me.
This metal sphere is 3ft in diameter, so I looked like a complete goober bringing it the counter to check out. No lie, the lady at the register asked me where I had planned on putting "this thing?" (her exact words). I said "not sure, but it's fun (in my excited giddy voice)!" She half smiled, nodded, and gave me a look like 
"yea whatever you say crazy lady"...
It sat in the guest room for about a month before I finally decided what I was going to do with it. Maybe a light fixture??? Called my dad for some advice to make sure wiring it was a realistic option.
Got the approval, so let the project begin!

I don't have a picture of the sphere before I go started. Here is the closest pic I could find (mine was already painted matte black). I tried to find one for grabs for you online, but no luck :(


WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
  • Electric Drill
  • Lighting Kit (available at any major hardware store)
  • Chain (super cheap & length will depend on height of your ceiling)
  • Spray Paint of desired finish & color
  • Ceiling Medallion
  • Light Bulb of your choice
  • Light fixture object you decide to use


10 EASY STEPS:
1. Take down your existing generic same ole' boring light fixture

2. Drill hole through the top of light fixture object you decide on

3. Attach lighting kit through drilled hole and attach to light fixture object
(Follow the very easy step-by-step instructions on packaging)

4. Spray paint chain & ceiling medallion 
(I always suggest at least 2 coats)

5. Thread the lighting kit cord through the chain

6. Slide ceiling medallion onto chain

7. Make sure POWER IS OFF to complete step 8!

8. Have an electric savvy person wire your lighting kit to the ceiling box.
I got my dad to take care of this step.
Mmmm no thanks, i'll pass!

9. Install light bulb into lighting kit socket.
I used a 12" Edison bulb we got at a local electrical supply store. I think it was like $11.
(found some cheap ones for you here: rejuvenation.com)

10. Turn power back on, flip on the light switch, 
& LET THERE BE LIGHT!

This project cost me under $50 and took about an hour to complete. I had the chain, ceiling medallion from the previous light fixture, and spray paint laying around. Just look around your house and you may already have some of these supplies too. Like I said, just think outside the box and you too can make something you're proud of!


Love these light fixtures, but I made mine probably for less than the shipping costs for these:
A. My-Sparrow.com / Metal Sphere Lantern $1250
B. Restoration Hardware /
Steel Polyhedron Medium Pendant $595
C. Restoration Hardware / Foucault's Iron Orb Chandelier $750


A quick internet search of "light cages" you can get some inspiration. Just a few ideas for you: metal baskets, crates, birdcage, lamp shade, and string (yep, I said string)!



No comments:

Post a Comment