2.17.2012

Sign Art

     Ran across this old sign the other day and just needed to find a spot for it. There's a couple of antique shops I like to stop at every now and then to see what they have new. The sign was hanging out outside and it just caught my eye. Thought it could be kind of a funky piece. Love bringing in pieces that are a little outside the box. This is definitely not your typical piece of fancy art, but I enjoy pieces that stand out.

     Like always, my mind started racing with ideas...how am I going to clean it, how to hang it (it was pretty heavy), where to hang it, and of course what's Corey's reaction going to be when I bring this over 6' long sign through the door (usually an eye roll of some sort)???

Decided the office would be the perfect place! A trip to the hardware store and I was ready to get to work.

First, I needed to clean it.

Had a nice coat of dirt on top. Took an old rag, bucket of warm water, and most of it came right off. Was worried the old paint would chip off, but it actually held on.

Just love the vintage hand painted letters.


There was no original hardware on the sign to hang it, so I had to create my own. Here is the hardware and tools I used. I highly recommend an over 60lb dog to hold down the sign so it doesn't move out of place while working on it.

The back of the sign has "slats" that I planned on attaching my hardware on. I measured and marked where I wanted each of my frame hooks to be.

Make sure each mark is precisely in the exact spot so your sign will hang straight.

I measured the distance between each frame hook on the sign, found my center on the wall, and measured out from the center where my nails needed to be on both sides. To make sure my height was consistent, I measured from the floor up and made sure all of my nail spots were even. "Handy Dandy" hubby helping me out.

I decided last minute to add some sticky back felt on the "slats" to protect my walls from being scratched from the sign.

Ta-Dah, sign art!



No comments:

Post a Comment